May 14, 2008

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

A year of food life. This book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, Steven Hopp and Camille Kingsolver, is changing the way I think about food everyday. In fact, some part of my brain is probably still gnawing on something I read last night.

While I can certainly say I've bemoaned the lack of vegetables and fruits during the winter months, I've never thought much about when fruits and vegetables are actually in season. Sure, I know tomatoes, corn and watermelon come around when its hotter than heck, but I'd never though about what it means to have cucumbers in May or asparagus in August (well, I know what it means to have asparagus in August:)The book just came out in paperback; just in time for the farmers market! Its not just about vegetables, but about being aware of where your food comes from, what that means for the local and national economy, and its got some yummy looking recipes too.

No comments: