February 16, 2010

Spa Home Remedies + Natural Cleaners

More and more I'm trying to reduce our household reliance on really strong chemical filled cleaners. Since it takes awhile to go through bottles of 409 and Scrubbing Bubbles, it is definitely an as it comes up sort of thing.

Currently we use Mrs. Meyers Geranium dish soap, Method grapefruit all purpose cleaner and I just picked up some Seventh Generation dishwasher detergent.



For unclogging drains (which is what made me think of this topic and I just did on Saturday), I use 3/4 cup of baking soda, followed by 1/2 cup cider vinegar. Let it sit covered and after 30 minutes pour a kettle of hot boiling water down the drain. Works like a charm. I'd like to be better about using lemon juice and baking soda for cleaning. An unintentional addendum to my 2010 intentions, I guess.


The other thing I'm getting interested in is natural spa remedies. This post from Apartment Therapy is a good place to start. It has been so cold and so dry this winter, I feel like I'm schellacking more and more chemical laden products on my face.

No comments: