July 13, 2010

Organizing for Your Personality


I spied this story about organizing for your brain from Real Simple on CNN yesterday.

Here's the quiz to determine if you are left or right brained:
1. When I'm finished using an item, I put it away immediately.
2. I love being surrounded by vibrant colors.
3. Whether I'm looking at a work of art or a room, I tend to prefer symmetrical design.
4. I like to move around my furniture a few times a year rather than stick with the same arrangement.
5. I'm the go-to party planner for friends and family.
6. Keeping current projects where I can see them is a must.
7. I love having a designated spot for each item in my closet or drawers.
8. On my computer, I often have multiple windows open at once.
9. I have a specific morning routine that I always follow to a T.
10. When making major purchases, I usually follow my instincts rather than do research.
11. I often wear the same jewelry every day.
12. If I have to explain directions to someone, I'll draw her a map instead of telling her verbally.
13. When I find a great dish at a restaurant, I order it every time I go there.
14. I often drive with the Empty light flashing.
15. I always bring a shopping list to the grocery store.
16. I have a lot of knickknacks around the house.
17. My books and CDs are in order, so I can always find what I'm looking for.
18. My desk is filled with piles of papers, sticky notes, and business cards.
19. I feel guilty if I don't follow the rules while playing board games.
20. I'm fine with other people making last-minute changes to plans.

Count up the odd and even numbers you've circled. More odd numbers = a left-brainer. More even = right-brain. Not surprising to anyone, I am right-brained.

Some of the tips suggested do support my way of thinking re: decorating. I think the best thing is to decorate for how you live, not how you think you should live. I don't put clothes away right after wearing them, cue the multitude of wall hung hooks in our house.

No comments: