April 16, 2012

What I'm Reading & Other Books


Just finished Nightwoods a few weeks ago. Its not one I would typically reach for, but my grandmother suggested it and I liked it. A very quick and satisfying read.


Currently I'm reading Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad for book club. Its the first book I've borrowed from the library to read on my Kindle. It was a bit of a process to get it downloaded and you only get the copy for two weeks, but so far so good. The book on the other hand, too soon to tell.

The last few months there have been lots and lots of negative rumblings for Amazon. Here's one from an educational publisher for one. I've taken a good look at my book consumption on Amazon, which is driving low costs by squeezing publishers and companies much like Wal-mart. 

While my Kindle is an Amazon product, I've been borrowing, buying local and using the library more frequently. (Though, I do miss the delicious feeling of adding three books to my Amazon cart, seeing the Super Saver discount applied and imagining those books arriving on my doorstep.) I'm not boycotting Amazon per se, just taking more time and effort with my book selection. 


This past weekend was one of those occasions. In looking for a book for our niece's first communion gift, I spent a good while at our big two-story standalone Barnes & Noble. I came home with The Star Shard, which I picked up on book design and instinct alone. I don't think I could have picked out a book for an advanced reading 8 year old online.

No comments: