August 5, 2012

What I've Been Reading Lately

Bah! Major computer problems + summer time = no blogging. Here's what I've been reading.


Yesterday I finished Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion. Oooh, boy. It was a goody. It was written by a journalist, which I thought helped present as unbiased of a story as possible.

Like most Americans I was familiar with the TomKat/crazy couch jumping/psychiatry is evil side of the story and last year I read a fantastic article about Paul Haggis's more recent fight against the church. What I didn't know was how Scientology started, how it changed to what it is today and the true depravity it stands in now.


Gone Girl was a vacation read I devoured. I'm not one to read thriller-type books, but I was inundated with magazines, NPR and other people talking about it, so I splurged and bought it on my Kindle (which is the cost-equivalent to buying a new release at paperback price.) Highly recommend.


These are next.

No comments: