May 21, 2010

What I Made This Week and Cooking Class

Sunday-Pork chops with horseradish sauce (I've had before but NR because I've never made before), spring shells and cheese (NR), grilled morels. I didn't loved the shells-I don't think I'll make again.

Wednesday-honey mustard mini meatloaves (we love this dish!) and asparagus.

I was so happy to find tiny, thin asparagus at the grocery store, but by the time I got to it on Weds, many of the tips were moldy and mushy. Last night I took a cooking class and learned a good way to keep asparagus fresh. Just like fresh herbs, when you get the asparagus home from the store, place the reedy stems in water until you are ready to use them.

Baking
I had some rhubarb from my mother-in-law, so this morning I made this strawberry rhubarb crumble. It is in the oven right now and it smells SO GOOD.

Cooking class
I love taking classes. Not that I want to go back to school, but I love taking a class here and there. Gets your mind moving.
Last night I took a French cooking (Springtime in Paris to be more exact) at a local restaurant supply store. We made herb butter, salmon in parchment, potatoes with Boursin cheese, spinach salad with poppy seed dressing, grilled asparagus and a pound cake dessert with the most unbelievable whipped cream ever (he used vanilla granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar). Plus there were Kir Royales, which are aces in my book.
If a class/teacher is good, it should make even the most novice of chefs feel confident in the kitchen. This teacher in particular had all kinds of good tips to share as well.

2 comments:

camby said...

Mmmmm! I've been planning on making that exact Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble all week and will finally get to it this weekend. Great minds think alike.

Jillian Frances said...

I made the very same crumble last week, and we ate it with Breyer's Vanilla. Delicious!