July 9, 2010

New Recipes

I was so thankful to have lined up my new recipes prior to going out of town for 5+ days.


But first, an unaccounted for new recipe made over the fourth: Seven Layer Dip from the Joy of Cooking. Yum! My favorite parts (and the elements that made this dip better than others) was the layer of avocados mashed with lime and the chopped green chilies. Both added a peppy piquant flavor that gave this dip extra depth.

Wednesday-Smothered pork chops (NR) found via Emily on Facebook (I love when people share recipes on Facebook), oven roasted potatoes and salad.

The pork chops were excellent and the bit of cayenne pepper kicked up the flavor without adding heat. The buttermilk I had was bad, so I made my own: one cup milk + 1 T vinegar (or lemon juice). Let sit five minutes, mix and then use the amount your recipe calls for.

Thursday-leftover pork chops, corn on the cob, cottage cheese with chives, salad (hodge podge, clearing out the fridge).

Baking-I finally found the perfect sugar cookie for me. The whole rolling out the dough + time in the fridge really stretches my patience. I don't actually care if a sugar cookie is cut into the shape of an elephant and decorated. I just want it to taste good. And these GIANT sugar cookies do. Mix the dough, drop 'em on an ungreased baking sheet.


They also have a ton of flavor, due in no small part to the fact that I used French Vanilla sugar. I learned about this trick in a cooking class. Add a vanilla bean to a container of sugar, let sit for a week, then discard the vanilla bean. You end up with flavorful vanilla sugar.

No comments: