October 3, 2012

Apple Cider Vinegar + Pro-X Cleansing System

My two favorite beauty products are a homemade, hippie toner and a battery operated brush. A dichotomy that is currently working for this face of mine.

I'm very lucky in that I've not had a lot of problems with acne. What I do struggle with is oily and dry zones, and fair skin that doesn't feel good when caked with a lot of makeup. I've been really pleased with how the combination of these two things have kept my face feeling fresh and clear.

The Oil of Olay Pro-X Cleansing System is the cheaper sibling of the expensive Clairsonic system. Works great at gently removing dead skin and keeping a nice glow. I probably use it three times a week, and though I did use the grittier exfoliate that comes in the package originally, I prefer a mild face wash when using the brush.


I love a good facial as much as the next person, but I've found using this makes it so that I can stretch out those treatments and still enjoy the fresh, soft skin feeling they provide.

My other new love is using an apple cider vinegar solution as a toner. There are lots and lots and lots of claims about the health benefits of organic apple cider vinegar with the mother (the active enzymes and proteins from the unfiltered brewing process.)

All I know is that once I started using it as a toner, my skin tone evened out and I started having fewer oily flareups (blackheads, whiteheads, etc.) My skin feels great. Basically, the idea behind using it for your skin is that it regulates the pH. For a person with both oily and dry areas, it works great to restore order to the chaos the elements and environment wreak on my face.

I do 1 part Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar to 3 parts water. The bottle I'm almost done with is from April. After I shower (and exfoliate or wash my face), I put the toner on with cotton pad and let it sit for 2 to 5 minutes. Then I wash it off (found out the hard way that it stinks when you sweat) and go about my normal beauty routine.

No comments: